Kirkstone Road West, Litherland, Liverpool 21
A striking design of the time of the Second Vatican Council by the Prichard firm, with a monopitch roof, skeletal bell tower and dalle de verre glass.
The parish was formed in 1959 within an area of post-war housing. The church was built in 1964-5.
The church is structurally simple, consisting of a concrete frame with a monopitch roof. The taller (liturgical north) side is faced with brown brick in its lower part, while the upper part is faced with concrete dalle de verre for almost the full length of the building, producing a striking facade to the street. The eastern bay has a single large mullioned window lighting the sanctuary. The end and rear walls are brick faced. At the corner is a tall detached openwork concrete campanile, triangular on plan (no bell).
Inside, the concrete frame is exposed, with straight-headed aisle openings on both sides. The interior is lit entirely from the long north wall, which is filled with coloured glass. The east wall of the sanctuary is boarded, with the altar set under a projecting canopy.
Entry amended by AHP 9.1.2021
*The church is now used by the Syro-Malabar Catholic Church*
Architect: L. A. G. Prichard
Original Date: 1964
Conservation Area: No
Listed Grade: Not Listed