Redcar Road, Little Lever, Bolton BL3
A simple church dating from 1975 with a strong geometrical design and a well-crafted interior. It takes the form of a rectangular block with a single monopitch roof, lit by clerestory windows and a concealed lantern. A smaller block contains the presbytery.
Catholic Mass was first celebrated in Little Lever in the old Co-operative building, before a timber church was erected in 1932, concealed behind the White Horse Inn on Lever Street. This served as a Chapel of Ease to St Gregory’s Farnworth until the parish of St Teresa was created in 1963. Land was acquired to build a church and school on Redcar Road, with the school opening in 1973, and the church on 27 August 1975. The architect has not been identified, but the design bears some similarity to that for two Pendleton churches, St Sebastian (1972-3) and Mother of God and St James (1975), the latter at least designed by Desmond Williams & Associates.
The church and presbytery were built in 1975, and consist of two rectangular blocks linked by a parish room and sacristy. Both blocks have monopitch roofs set at ninety degrees with one another. The church is entered through a low flat-roofed narthex with a timber and glass screen. The worship space is lit by clerestory windows on three sides, and a concealed lantern, which casts light down onto the crucifix and rear wall of the sanctuary. The sanctuary furniture was made by Stan West in 2005, during the residency of Mgr Mark Davies.
Architect: Desmond Williams & Associates (unconfirmed attribution)
Original Date: 1975
Conservation Area: No
Listed Grade: Not Listed