York Terrace, Everton, Liverpool 5
A modern church historically associated with, and incorporating fittings from E. W. Pugin’s former church of Our Lady, St Domingo Road.
The first church of Our Lady of the Immaculate Conception was built in St Domingo Road and opened by Bishop Goss on 7 December 1856. Designed by E. W. Pugin, this was in the grounds of St Edmund’s College, Everton, and was intended to be the Lady Chapel of the pro-Cathedral of the newly-created diocese. The project was abandoned on account of lack of funds, and the higher priority given to building new churches and schools for the rapidly-expanding Irish population. Pugin’s church of Our Lady of the Immaculate Conception however survived until the 1980s, when it was demolished.
The present church was built in 1986 to the designs of Vis Williams, and consecrated in the same year. It is brick-built, square on plan, the sanctuary area with a clerestory and pyramidal roof, externally clad in copper. The building incorporates a number of furnishings from the old Pugin church, including stained glass panels (backlit), the font and the tabernacle.
Architect: Vis Williams
Original Date: 1986
Conservation Area: No
Listed Grade: Not Listed