Carmarthen Road, Llandeilo, SA19 6DL
A small hipped-roofed building in a vaguely neo-Georgian style, built in 1938 as a telephone exchange and converted to church use in 1986, using local labour.
During the penal years, Catholicism clung on in a small way in Llandeilo. In the twentieth century worship resumed in various places, served by visiting Passionists from Carmarthen and then (after the opening of the school at Tregyb in 1947) by the Carmelites, with services held in the school chapel. After the closure of the school in 1970 the Passionists returned in 1971 and a lease was taken of the disused Elim Chapel in Rhosmaen Road. In 1986 a former telephone exchange in Carmarthen Road was purchased and converted by parishioners for use as a church. It opened for worship in July 1987.
The former telephone exchange is a small rectangular structure, built into a sloping bank and set on a plinth of rock-faced stonework. The walls are faced with roughcast, with footings and dressings of ashlar stone. The tall pitched, hipped roof is covered in Welsh slate. A flight of steps leads up from the small car park area in front of the building to the large door-opening in the west end wall which has modern timber and glass double doors with a plain glazed light above. The side walls each have four rectangular window openings in a close row with modern diamond glazing. The west end wall has one similar window and a door.
The interior is a single simple space with plain plastered walls and a low, flat plastered ceiling. The windows are clear glazed. The sanctuary is a slightly raised area across the full width of the east end. The sanctuary furnishings are simple and modern. The seating is chairs rather than benches.
Architect: Not established
Original Date: 1938
Conservation Area: No
Listed Grade: Not Listed