Village Road, Llanfairfechan, LR33 0RS
A plain, hall-type structure of the 1950s with later narthex, lying within the town centre conservation area.
The Llandudno mission was established in 1867 and stretched from Rhyl in the east along the coast to Bangor and as far south as Dolgellau. With the coming of the railway, small settlements along the north Wales coast rapidly expanded as seaside resorts, one being Llanfairfechan. Following the opening of the large church of Our Lady Star of the Sea in Llandudno in 1893, missions were started in Penmaenmawr and Conway by the Franciscan fathers from Pantasaph. The present church was built after an international fundraising effort by Fr Ethelbert, OFM Cap, and was opened by Bishop Petit of Menevia on 29 November 1954. The parish has for many years been served from Llandudno Junction.
Built in 1954, the church is a small low building with a shallow pitched roof. A slightly later flat-roofed extension facing the road serves as a narthex with WC accommodation. The structure consists of a series of concrete portal frames with steel tension rods and concrete encased steel roof purlins. Between the frames, the walls are infilled with concrete bricks, faced in roughcast render externally and painted inside. Each of the four bays has a round headed steel window. The extension is smooth rendered on a stone plinth and has stone buttresses to each side of the central doorway. Inside, the sanctuary consists of a simple dais on which stand a timber altar, tabernacle and ambo, and there is a sacristy with a sink and tea-making facilities.
Architect: Not established
Original Date: 1954
Conservation Area: Yes
Listed Grade: Not Listed