Chapel Lane, Longton, Preston PR4
A longitudinal design with a short northwest tower, old-fashioned for its date.
A school-chapel was built at Longton in 1893, from designs by Edmund Kirby. This building survives, much altered, as a parish centre. The present church dates from 1965, and was built from designs by Massey & Massey.
Of brown brick with concrete dressings, slate roof. Northwest tower, nave with low attached confessionals etc. The west end has a tall round-arched window with superimposed cross motif. Windows are otherwise generally flat-headed lancets. Tower with projecting parapet supported by concrete brackets. The top has railings and a small inset upper ringing stage, possibly a later addition. The interior is conventionally orientated, and has a reredos with Crucifixus and forward altar at the east end. Bench seating.
The brick presbytery is attached to the church by a low north-east link, and is of conventional design. The social club is of brick, a low key design with later additions.
Entry amended by AHP 9.1.2021
Architect: Massey & Massey
Original Date: 1965
Conservation Area: No
Listed Grade: Not Listed