Park Road, Loughborough, Leicestershire LE11
A post-Second World War church built to serve a new housing estate, with a powerfully composed west tower. The church itself is a simple utilitarian brick structure.
The church stands in an area of mid-twentieth century council housing. The architect was E. Bower Norris of Sandy & Norris and the builders H. Hammond & Sons of Loughborough. The church was designed to accommodate 260, and the approximate cost was £11,000. It was opened by Bishop Ellis on 2 May 1956.
The church consists of a single hall space under a pitched roof with a substantial west tower across the centre of the west front flanked by flat-roofed lobbies. The building is faced with buff bricks laid in stretcher bond with roof coverings of concrete tiles. The tower has a rectangular west door with a thin stone surround and now has a newly-built access ramp with a brick plinth; above the door are five vertical panels of red tile with metal windows inset and the tower is finished with brick toothed ornament at the corners and plain brick coping. The side walls have pairs of domestic window openings at high level. The east wall is blind.
The interior is a fairly plain single space with a parquet floor, plastered walls and a shallow curved timber ceiling. At the west end is a small cantilevered gallery. At the east end the wall has a shallow recess for the altar. The timber benches are probably original, with nice carved openwork detail in the ends.
Amended by AHP 27.01.2021
Architect: Sandy & Norris
Original Date: 1955
Conservation Area: No
Listed Grade: Not Listed