Booths Hill Road, Lymm, Cheshire WA13
A modest building, with an attractive gabled frontage, rather secular in character. This was the first of many churches in the diocese designed by Frank Reynolds.
A chapel was built in 1856 and later demolished, with the area being served from Altrincham. According to Plumb, a Mass Centre served from Our Lady’s, Latchford, was opened at Lymm in 1902. In 1905 a plot of land was acquired and a new church finally built in 1933. This was the first (and originally the smallest) of many churches in the diocese to be designed by the architect Frank Reynolds, then aged just twenty-one. It was built at a cost of £1,000 and seated 120 people. In 1968 the church was extended in remarkably sympathetic style by Reynolds & Scott, and a new altar erected. The interior was re-orientated placing the altar against the (liturgical) north wall, with new seating in the extension.
St Winifrede’s is a modest building of brick with round-arched windows. The (liturgical) west front has been extended seamlessly and with care. It is symmetrical, the gabled entrance range with a round-arched doorway with mosaic Agnus Dei in the tympanum. The extension is executed in brick in matching style. The original interior space has an open timber roof. The altar, of polished white stone, is on a low platform at the centre of the long side, and the extension breaks through and extends out from the opposite side.
Architect: F. M Reynolds; Reynolds & Scott
Original Date: 1933
Conservation Area: No
Listed Grade: Not Listed