Building » Redcar (Marske-by-the-Sea) – St Bede

Redcar (Marske-by-the-Sea) – St Bede

Southfield Road, Marske-by-the-Sea, Redcar TS11

An attractive if modest essay in interwar brick church-building, using a round-arched style. The church was evidently built to a modest budget but has pleasing lines and some attractive detailing. 

Built in 1936 to provide a place of worship for Catholics in the Marske area. The architect has not been established but the builder was Messrs Spink & Son of Bridlington, and the hand of their collaborator Bishop Thomas Shine may therefore be surmised. Plans for the presbytery were drawn up in 1964 by Norman Richardson ARIBA of Stockton-on-Tees. He was also responsible for plans for a meeting room extension (probably the one in existence now).

The church, as originally built, consisted of a four-bay nave and lower sanctuary built in red brick under a slated roof. At the southeast corner of the nave is a low transept. The former south porch has been replaced by the western one, its entrance filled in (it has been converted to a space housing a statue of the Virgin). The brickwork consists of three stretcher courses to one of headers. The fenestration is of small round-arched windows – single lights on the nave, three grouped lights in the west façade. The east wall is blind. The window frames have been replaced by ones in UPVC and there is modern, rather crude stained glass filling them. A parish room has been added at the northeast corner, probably about 1970.

The interior is plain and has whitened, plastered walls. There is a broad round arch to the sanctuary: either side of it, at the springing level, are niches for statues.  There is an organ gallery at the west end with a boarded front. The plain roof trusses have pairs of braces either side and the roof is ceiled with what appear to be insulating tiles. The altar and lectern are composed of green, light brown and white marble. Light grey marble is used as a dado and backdrop to the tabernacle on the east wall.

Heritage Details

Architect: Probably Bishop Thomas Shine

Original Date: 1936

Conservation Area: No

Listed Grade: Not Listed