Fern Avenue, Pollards Hill, Mitcham CR4
Apparently a former Mission hall of c1930, utilitarian with some Gothic trim.
Pollards Hill grew as a new housing estate in the 1920s, a process which accelerated after the Second World War. St Michael’s started as a Mass centre served from St Bartholomew, Norbury (qv). According to a parishioner met on site, the present church was built in about 1930 as a Salvation Army mission hall. Pollards Hill became a semi-independent parish in 1964, the first resident priest in the then-new presbytery being Fr Kenneth Palmer. It became fully independent in 1982, and is served by the Salvatorians.
The church is a plain mission-style structure of c1930, with a pebbledash frontispiece and painted rendered panels interspersed with painted brick buttresses on the side and rear elevations. Welsh slate roof. The only external architectural adornment is the curious toy-like castellated turrets on either side of the gable at the west end. Inside, the church consists of a single aisleless space under a collar rafter roof. Marble lining to the sanctuary walls and modern (1980s) semi-abstract coloured glass in the windows, by a parishioner.
Architect: Not established
Original Date: 1930
Conservation Area: No
Listed Grade: Not Listed