Park Lane, Milford-on-Sea, Hampshire
A church of some local historic interest for its original function as the Village Institute, adapted for Catholic use in 1967.
In December 1938 the Franciscan Sisters of Sainte Marie des Anges opened a home for priests at Maryland House in Milford and their chapel was open to the public. The house was requisitioned during the war and returned in 1945, but the home became run down, part was sold in 1961 and the convent finally closed in 1967. That year a former Village Institute building of 1888 was purchased for £7,000 and converted for use as a church (architects Max Cross & Kellaway).
Built on a rectangular plan, with a prominent pitched roof with red brick tiles. Gable end to road has modern (1960s) lobby addition across whole front with half-timber decoration in the gable above, with a central niche with an image of St Francis. The side elevation to Westcourt Road has a central projecting brick porch with battered sides, off-centre doorway and tile-hung gable. To the right of the porch are three timber casement windows; to the left is a passage under a pent roof with continuous small-paned glazing, in the main roof slope above the passage are two large dormers. On the rear elevation is a brick cross-wing with modern windows and door, which was probably added as part of the 1960s alterations.
The interior is a single space with a former stage area at one end, now converted to a chapel. The main hall has a carpeted floor, timber dado, plastered walls and a boarded ceiling, which was perhaps inserted in the 1960s below the original roof, whose ironwork is still partly visible. The stage front has some original decoration of the 1880s. An openwork iron screen has been inserted to divide the stage area from the main body of the church.
Architect: Max Cross & Kellaway (conversion)
Original Date: 1967
Conservation Area: No
Listed Grade: Not Listed