The Presbytery, Lonsdale Road, Millom LA18 4AS. The church is in Queen Street.
An economical Gothic design, built by the subscriptions of Irish iron workers.
The present character and appearance of Millom is attributable to nineteenth century expansion in the wake of iron ore production. The Millom and Askham Haematite Iron Co, was founded in 1864. A Catholic mission was established in 1867, with Mass celebrated in a loft over a smithy in Holborn Hill while the church was built. That church duly became the school when the present church was built in 1888, from designs by H. V. Krolov of Liverpool. It cost £1,600 and was paid for by the subscriptions of iron workers.
The presbytery is located nearby in Lonsdale Road and is twentieth century in date – drawings for the building (dated 1943, architect G.G. Baines of Preston), are on the file at the diocesan offices.
Bulmer’s History describes the building as follows:
‘Built of hard flinty stone of the lake district with dressing of Furness Abbey stone. It is a plain substantial building consisting of sanctuary and nave, with two vestries. The east window is of stained glass, circular in form, representing the Holy Trinity. The old church, erected in 1868, has been converted into a school. Adjoining it, and close to the church, is the presbytery. The Reverend William Perrin is in charge of the mission’.
Built with the pennies of the faithful, this was not a lavish or expensive building. The stonework is reserved for the front elevation, the flank walls being faced in brick. The style is plain lancet Gothic. At the front there are sandstone piers (monoliths) and gates with the founders mark ‘Briggs of Barrow 1869’, presumably reused from the old church.
The interior has not been inspected. According to the file at the diocesan offices, the church was reordered in the 1960s and a new confessional, baptistry and sacristy provided. There are more recent additions on the north side of the church, presumably housing social facilities.
Entry amended by AHP 19.12.2020
Architect: H. V. Krolov
Original Date: 1888
Conservation Area: No
Listed Grade: Not Listed