Fenton Street, Mirfield, West Yorkshire
The building is an interwar warehouse structure converted to a church in 1955. It is of little architectural or historic interest.
A Mass centre was opened at Battyeford in 1927. Twenty-eight years later in 1955 Fr Backhouse, who was then at St Paulinus, purchased a former warehouse of the Co-operative Wholesale Society, which was converted into a church hall with nave and sanctuary under one roof. Mirfield was established as a separate parish in 1968. A new facade was added to the street front in 1984 and various internal alterations carried out at the same time.
A large rectangular building of red brick with a simple pitched roof covered in Welsh slate. The side walls are divided into eight bays by brick pilaster strips. On the north side the seven eastern bays have modern three-light rectangular timber windows; the south side wall is blind. The street front is in red brick laid in stretcher bond with twin garage-like rectangular openings filled with partitions of timber and artificial stone. The interior has not been inspected.
Original Date: 1930
Conservation Area: No
Listed Grade: Not Listed