Poynter Street, Moston, Manchester M40 ODH
A modest building of 1991 with few architectural pretensions.
New Moston lies on the edge of the township of Moston, recorded in the fourteenth century. It is about five miles from Manchester, of which it has been administratively a part since 1890. Expansion on a large scale occurred after coal mines were opened in 1840. A parish seems to have been established with the building of a church hall in 1968, and a temporary church of 1972 was replaced by the present building in 1991, built from designs by Ashdene & Windsor Construction (information from Mgr Austin Bulfin). It was redecorated inside in 2011.
All orientations given are liturgical. The building is of brick with a steel-framed roof structure clad in concrete tiles. The west front with the main entrance is gabled with a timber fascia and glazed screen beneath incorporating the main doors and echoing the line of the gable. Windows are generally quite small aluminium casements, with a group of taller openings on the north side. The entrance leads to a narthex and there is a kitchen and WCs at the back of the church. The altar, ambo. tabernacle podium and font were made of Arabescato and Verdi Patricia marbles by Alberti, Lupton & Co. Ltd. of Manchester.
Architect: Ashdene & Windsor Construction
Original Date: 1991
Conservation Area: No
Listed Grade: Not Listed