Stand Park Avenue, Netherton, Liverpool 30
A design and build church with laminated timber frame, dating from the 1970s and not of special interest.
The old village of Netherton has been overwhelmed by the post-war suburb built by Bootle Borough Council. Long-standing Catholic presence here is witnessed by the church of St Benet, built in 1793 but now no longer used for Catholic worship and in the care of the Historic Chapels Trust.
The parish of Our Lady of Walsingham was erected in 1956 to serve the post-war suburb, and the present church built in 1971. It was consecrated in 1984. The church is built on a hexagonal plan, with buff brick cladding and large windows in several of the shallow-gabled outer ends with white brick aprons beneath. The windows have a regular glazing pattern of large and small rectangular panes, some with coloured glass. Inside, the laminated timber frame is exposed, with curved principals meeting at the roof apex and secondary curved beams spanning the gables. The ceiling is plastered above the exposed principal rafters. The wall surfaces are principally of rough-faced artificial stone, with some vertical boarding. The floor is parquet. Below the windows on several of the side of the church runs an elaborate carved (? timber) frieze on the theme of Our Lady of Walsingham, by the late E. V. Carr, a local artist, dated 1973.
Entry amended by AHP 10.1.2021
Architect: Lanner Construction
Original Date: 1971
Conservation Area: No
Listed Grade: Not Listed