Copy Lane, Netherton, Bootle, Liverpool 30
Netherton has a significant Catholic heritage, but the present church is a fairly functional design of the 1970s.
Public Catholic worship in Netherton goes back to the eighteenth century. A chapel was built in 1793; listed grade II*, this is now closed and in the care of the Historic Chapels Trust. Netherton was originally a small hamlet, but was greatly enlarged after the war as a suburb of Bootle. The present church was built in 1975 to serve this expanding population.
The church comprises two opposed monopitch roof slopes set on a rectangular base faced with buff bricks. There is a narrow window strip at the head of the brick walls but the principal source of daylight to the interior is the long clerestorey window between the lower and higher roof slopes. The interior is a single rectangular space; the walls are of bare brick up to the window strip, with timber boarding above; the ceiling slopes are plastered. The altar is set against the wall at the base of the taller roof slope.
Entry amended by AHP 10.1.2021
Architect: Vis Williams Partnership
Original Date: 1975
Conservation Area: No
Listed Grade: Not Listed