Forest Gate, New Invention, Walsall WV12
A functional prefabricated structure, originally built as a parish hall.
The mission started from Corpus Christi parish in Wolverhampton in a room at the Poet’s Corner pub (date not established). The hall was opened in 1967 and later became a church, serving as a chapel of ease within Bloxwich parish. The dedication is to St Edmund Gennings, born in Lichfield in 1567, and one of the Forty Martyrs of England and Wales canonised by Pope Paul VI in 1970.
The church became part of Willenhall parish in 1980. At the time of the writer’s visit it was due to be closed and sold off to become a nursery. It is intended to incorporate the dedication with that of St Mary, Willenhall.
This is a utilitarian prefabricated building of the 1960s, part timber-clad and with a shallow roof of concrete tiles. The sanctuary can be screened off from the body of the church.
Architect: Not applicable
Original Date: 1967
Conservation Area: No
Listed Grade: Not Listed