St Margaret’s Road, New Moston, Manchester M40 OJE
One of several similar post-war churches in the area designed by the architects Greenhalgh & Williams. It is of fairly conventional design and is smaller and less ambitious than some of their other churches.
New Moston is a largely residential suburb of Manchester. The parish was erected in 1935 and Mass was said in the Broadway Baths until a church-hall was built in 1936. A presbytery was built in 1938.
The present church and attached presbytery were built in 1957, from designs by Greenhalgh & Williams. It was consecrated on 9 November 1960. The sanctuary has been reordered, probably during the late 1960s or 1970s. Altar rails were removed and a new forward altar put in place. The font was moved from the west end baptistery and glass taken out and placed against the northeast window. It shows the Baptism of Christ and is similar to baptistery glass at St John Bosco and Immaculate Conception Failsworth (qqv) by Charles Lightfoot. Some years ago a soundproofed glass box was placed at the west end of the church for the use of young children during services.
All orientations given are liturgical. The church is one of several designed by the architects Greenhalgh & Williams, but on a somewhat more modest scale than many of their other designs. It is of brick with a single-span nave and a near-detached southwest tower with a saddleback roof. It is connected to the presbytery, part of the same design, by a low link. The interior has a west gallery and is simply appointed. The original reredos with Crucifix beneath a canopy remains, and bench seating also appears to be original.
Architect: Greenhalgh & Williams
Original Date: 1957
Conservation Area: No
Listed Grade: Not Listed