Heaton Road, Newcastle upon Tyne NE6
A striking and innovative design of the early 1970s, near to a medieval ruin and on the edge of a steeply-sided, wooded valley which forms part of a registered park.
In 1927 a house in Simonside Terrace was bought for a presbytery and Mass was said in a flat in Heaton Road until a small church known as the ‘tin hut’ was built on the present site and in 1932 a presbytery beside it. In 1971-72 the present church was built, carefully designed by David Brown it fit in with its sensitive location on the edge of Jesmond Dene. The builder was Wilfred Marshall. The church was consecrated by Bishop Lindsay in December 1971.
The church is built on an octagonal plan, with a star-like roof of eight steep pitches rising to a tall fleche. When built, the roof was covered in dark felt; happily, this has been replaced with shingles. Oriented with ritual east to the north, the wide entrance porch is at the ritual west end. The triangular gables are filled with vertical glass panels except in the projecting entrance porch and the sanctuary.
Inside, the seating consists of high quality benches with back rails and solid ends, arranged in blocks radiating from the sanctuary. The sanctuary area retains its original pale grey marble altar and font, but has a replacement ambo. A crucifix hangs on the gable wall behind the tabernacle stand. Stained glass panels- artist not established – have replaced the plain glass full-height windows at each angle.
Architect: David Brown
Original Date: 1972
Conservation Area: No
Listed Grade: Not Listed