Central Avenue, Newton Aycliffe, Co. Durham DL5
Built in 1960 to serve the new town of Newton Aycliffe, the church is an economical, functional product of its time, with some good quality furnishings.
Plans were drawn up in 1958 by Thomas Crawford for a church seating 450 people, serving a new estate. The cost of building and the site works amounted to £39,200. The presbytery was designed at the same time.
The church is a simple, tall, large rectangular box with a low narthex porch wrapping round the northwest corner. A single-storey chapel projects from the southeast. It is faced with 2in. light brown bricks and has stone dressings. The ruling element externally is the very tall clerestory, which has seven large rectangular windows (clear glazed apart from bright yellow borders). At ground level is a series of small square windows filled with yellow glass and corresponding in position to the clerestory above. The west window is rectangular has three lights. The east wall is blind.
The interior is bright and plain. The walls are plastered and whitened. At the west end is a broad gallery containing an organ. In the southwest corner is a repository: a confessional occupies a corresponding position on the north side. The ceiling is segmental shaped and is covered with square insulating tiles. The pews are of American white oak. The NCC account of the opening (1961, p.113) mentions three polychrome wooden statues by Giuseppe Stuflesser.
Architect: Thomas A. Crawford of Middlesbrough
Original Date: 1960
Conservation Area: No
Listed Grade: Not Listed