The Triangle, Norbiton, Kingston-upon-Thames, Surrey KT1
A plain building of the mid-1950s, though not without some architectural character, particularly in the brickwork detail and the bold treatment of the tall pitched roof.
The church was built in 1955 as a Mass centre served from St Agatha’s Kingston. The architects were Goodhart-Rendel, Broadbent & Curtis (Catholic Building Review, 1956). A separate parish was created in 1979. The first parish priest was Fr John O’Shea, whose memorial is inside the building.
The church is a simple building on a rectangular plan, comprising an aisleless nave with sacristies grouped at the east end. The church has low side walls of buff-coloured brick and a continuous tall pitched roof covered in pantiles with small dormer windows. The west front has a central entrance flanked by walls of buff brick with red brick ornament. The gable above the door is almost completely glazed. The side walls are virtually windowless. At the west end of the north wall is the foundation stone (dated 1955).
Internally the church is a single space, with a west gallery above the entrance vestibule. The walls and roof are painted white and lit mainly from the clear-glazed clerestory windows. The floors are carpeted. There is no separate sanctuary but the east end of the church is raised two steps above the nave. The east end wall is blind with a central crucifix in a shallow segmental-headed recess.
Amended by AHP 05.02.2021
Architect: Goodhart-Rendel, Broadbent & Curtis
Original Date: 1955
Conservation Area: Yes
Listed Grade: Not Listed