Witton Street, Northwich, Cheshire
An early design by Edmund Kirby, relatively low-key on the outside but the interior an extraordinary tour-de-force of decorative timbering.
The church and presbytery were built in 1864-6 from designs by Edmund Kirby. Various alterations were undertaken during the incumbency of Fr D. Cregan during the 1890s and early years of the twentieth century, including installation of a new organ in 1904. The building was subject to repairs and alterations in 2008, when there was a chancel reordering and various other works.
See list entry, below. St Wilfrid is externally a relatively low-key building with paired lancet windows, a plate-traceried west window and a small bellcote with a tall slated pyramidal top. It is of red brick with blue brick patterning and raised brick gable detailing. The interior is an extraordinary tour-de-force of decorative timbering, including aisle posts and arcading, curved wind braces and elaborately detailed roof trusses with arch braces, diagonal latticework and arches rising from the tie-beams. Stained glass includes an east window dated 1899 by Mayer of Munich, and a side altar probably of mid-twentieth century date, has a relief showing the Annunciation. Alterations include a recent (2008) chancel reordering which saw the introduction of furnishings of polished white stone.
Church, 1864-6, by Edmund Kirby. Enlarged 1901-2. Brown brick; graded grey slate roof; blue brick bands and dressings; stone cills. Aisled nave, north porch, chancel, fleche belfry with blank lucarnes. West window of 2 pairs of lancets plus plate tracery; north and south windows are paired lancets; triple lancet at east end with rose window above. Continuous roof to nave and chancel. Interior of quite impressive scale has 6-bay north and south arcades on octagonal softwood posts with small framing above; arch-braced trusses.
Listing NGR: SJ6629274021
Architect: Edmund Kirby
Original Date: 1866
Conservation Area: No
Listed Grade: Grade II