Kennelwood Avenue, Northwood, Kirkby, Liverpool 33
Photo: parish website
A modest post-war design, one of a group of churches in Kirkby by L.A.G. Prichard, architects with a prolific post-war practice in the Archdiocese of Liverpool.
The church is situated in the northern part of Kirkby, a new town developed by Liverpool Corporation in the decades after the Second World War. The parish was erected in 1957 and the church was opened in the following year.
St Mary’s is a simple structure, built of red brick and roofed with concrete tiles. A short spirelet is placed centrally on the ridge. The tall main body of the church has lean-to additions on both sides and the pitched roof is brought down over them in a continuous slope. The church is lit by tall single windows high in the walls. The main entrance is in one of the side additions, which has a glazed front, with the glazing now partly painted over. Interior not inspected.
Entry amended by AHP 10.01.2021
Architect: L. A. G. Prichard & Son
Original Date: 1958
Conservation Area: No
Listed Grade: Not Listed