Station Road, Okehampton, Devon
An ambitious scheme for a church with tower was not realised; the church as built is a modest L-shaped adjunct to the presbytery of 1921. This is a handsome Arts and Crafts house, making a positive contribution to the local conservation area.
The first Catholic church in Okehampton was a corrugated iron building, opened in 1906. A large site was purchased in June 1920 and a design prepared for an large church (dedicated to Our Lady of the Wayside and the Holy Souls) with south west tower and presbytery (an unsigned perspective drawing in the Diocesan archives is illustrated here). In the event only the presbytery was built, with an outbuilding to its rear later adapted and extended to provide a small church space (interior not inspected).
Amended by AHP 23.01.2021
Architect: Not established
Original Date: 1921
Conservation Area: Yes
Listed Grade: Not Listed