Building » Old Coulsdon – St Mary, Help of Christians

Old Coulsdon – St Mary, Help of Christians

Coulsdon Road, Old Coulsdon, Surrey CR5

A modest timber portal framed church of the 1960s, the large coloured glass windows of the sides suffusing the interior with light.

From 1941 Mass was said in Old Coulsdon in hired premises, starting in Keston Avenue School Hall and from 1954 at a nearby house, The Grange. A dual-purpose church and hall was built in 1956. This became the parish hall in 1966, when the present church seating 360 was built for Fr Edward Bovington by the firm of Lanner of Wakefield.


A small church, clad externally in red brick laid in stretcher bond under a concrete tile roof. There is a flat-roofed forebuilding or narthex at the entrance and above this a west window with a pointed top following the line of the gable, with an abstract pattern of glazing subdivision incorporating coloured lights. The flank elevations have four largely glazed and gabled bays on either side, again incorporating coloured glass. The chancel is narrower, with a blank east wall, and clear frosted glass panels on the sides.

The interior consists of entrance area, five-bay nave and narrower two-bay chancel. The building has a laminated timber portal frame which marks the bay divisions, plastered panels in the roof and plastered and painted walls. The large side windows make for a light interior. Plain modern benches and grey marble sanctuary furnishings.

Entry amended by AHP 27.09.2021

Heritage Details

Architect: Lanner of Wakefield

Original Date: 1966

Conservation Area: No

Listed Grade: Not Listed