Turf Pit Lane, Moorside, Oldham OL4 2NE
A modest 1960s combined church and parish hall of portal frame construction. It is built on part of the site of the former Moorside House, home of the notable textile milling Mellodew family.
Moorside which was a discrete settlement in the nineteenth century but is now built up as a suburb of Oldham. It expanded with textile mills (specialising in velvet) built by the Mellodew family. In the twentieth century large council estates were built in the adjacent area of Sholver.
At the end of 1958 the diocese acquired Moorside House, former home of Thomas Mellodew, in which was opened a small chapel of ease to Our Lady, Oldham (qv). Further land alongside Moorside House was acquired in 1964, and the present combined church and parish hall was built from designs by Desmond Williams & Associates. The foundation stone, laid by Bishop Holland in 1967, is within the church. The attached presbytery was added in 1978.
Moorside House is now demolished, the site now occupied by Our Lady’s RC primary school.
All orientations given are liturgical. The building is of steel portal frame construction with brick cladding. The main entrance is at the west end where there is a shallow narthex. Inside the steel frame is exposed. A system of shutters towards the east end allows the sanctuary to be divided off if the hall is in use, and a small kitchen and servery is located on the south side, adjacent to a sacristy. The sanctuary furnishings are of carved and incised marble and include a simple forward altar. A crucifix is attached to the east wall. Seating is provided with chairs, and there is plain coloured glass in the windows.
Architect: Desmond Williams & Associates
Original Date: 1967
Conservation Area: No
Listed Grade: Not Listed