Mellor Street, Packmoor, Stoke-on-Trent ST7
A modest red brick church of 1935, of some interest as a design by the parish priest, using voluntary labour for the construction. However, it does not possess architectural significance.
In 1920 the priest at Goldenhill opened a Mass centre at Packmoor in a hut bought from the army camp at Rugeley and which for some years was served by the chaplains to the Little Sisters of the Poor at Cobridge. In 1932 Fr Thomas Hampton, the priest at Goldenhill, bought land in (the then) Bull Lane, and built the present church from his own designs in 1934-5, using local voluntary labour (cf the Sacred Heart church, Tunstall). It continued to be served from Goldenhill until 1956 when it was attached to the new parish of the English Martyrs, Biddulph (itself founded from Goldenhill). It is now once again served from Goldenhill. The church suffered a fire in 2008, which burned out the roof over the sanctuary. It reopened after repairs in November 2009.
A modest, small red brick building with blue Staffordshire brick detail. It has a steeply-pitched roof, with a small flat-roofed entrance porch/narthex and a similarly flat-roofed sacristy giving off the east end. The side windows are square-headed and timber framed. The interior is simple with an open timber roof, and while it has no particular features of note it nonetheless provides a pleasant worship space. The carved wooden altar survived the 2008 fire.
Architect: Rev. Thomas Hampton
Original Date: 1935
Conservation Area: No
Listed Grade: Not Listed