Place Hill, Padstow, Cornwall
A small and entirely functional design of the 1970s, in an idyllic position in a large churchyard overlooking the town, close to Prideaux Place.
The Padstow mission was established by the Canons Regular from Bodmin in 1909, with Mass first said in the Long Room of the Ship Inn. Shortly before the beginning of the First World War a timber church was built on a site inChurch Streetat a cost of £100.
By the 1970s this timber building had become inadequate, particularly with the large numbers attending Sunday Mass in the summer holidays. In 1973 the Chapter at Bodmin obtained planning permission to build on a new site at the top ofChurch StreetinPark Place(which had been given in 1958 by the late John Prideaux-Brune of the nearby Prideaux Park Estate) and work started on the new church in 1974. The completed church, dedicated to St Saviour and St Petroc, was opened by Bishop Restieaux on Sunday 1 June 1975.
The church consists of a single cell, with a western porch and integral sacristy at the east end. The west front and porch are stone clad with tile hanging to the roof of the porch and to the raised gable end of the nave. The east gable is also tile hung, but the roof of the main body of the church is of concrete tiles, and its walls are covered with roughcast render. Timber windows with opaque glass.
The interior has not been inspected. The photograph above (which has been taken from the parish website) shows a simple interior with no furnishings of obvious interest.
Architect: Not established
Original Date: 1974
Conservation Area: Yes
Listed Grade: Not Listed