Derbyshire Hill Road, Parr, St Helens WA9
A modest brick church by Matthew Honan, built in 1905 to serve a mining community.
Mining and chemical industries developed at Parr in the nineteenth century. The church was built in 1905 from designs by Matthew Honan, an architect of promise who was killed in the Great War.
The church comprises a single volume under a long pitched roof with Welsh slate coverings. The walls are of brown brick with some red brick banding. The windows are simple lancets. The liturgical west end has a central door flanked by two large lancet windows, with two lancet windows above and a bellcote at the top of the gable. The south (street) front is divided by brick buttresses into seven bays, with paired lancet windows in the five central bays.
The interior has plain plastered and painted walls and a boarded ceiling with timber roof trusses. At the east end a pointed arch opens into a shallow windowless sanctuary. The windows are all clear glazed. The fittings include a handsome set of the Stations of the Cross with timber Gothic surrounds. A modern timber and glass screen with some coloured glass divides the entrance area from the body of the church.
Entry amended by AHP 10.01.2021
Architect: Mathew Honan
Original Date: 1905
Conservation Area: No
Listed Grade: Not Listed