Chapel Lane, Partington, Manchester M31
A building of the 1960s by the prolific firm of Reynolds & Scott, somewhat hard-edged in its detailing but grand and dignified in its overall effect.
The parish was founded in 1957, by which time buildings, including Tower House and a club had already been acquired. Worship took place in the club from 1956. These buildings were demolished and a new church and presbytery built on the site in 1964. The parish is now served from Sale, and the presbytery is occupied by Loreto Sisters.
The church is of brick with concrete dressings and a tiled roof. Its design displays careful massing, with a low crossing tower and tall transepts. The window openings are generally treated as grids. The interior has processional aisles and a top-lit crossing with a large and impressive baldacchino. The arcades and sanctuary arch have sharp pointed heads. In the nave there is a west gallery and simple bench seating. The sanctuary has been divided and the area behind the altar is now a meeting area. The former northwest baptistery (now a repository and shop) is lit by a screen of coloured glass.
Architect: Reynolds & Scott
Original Date: 1964
Conservation Area: No
Listed Grade: Not Listed