Station Road, Pendlebury, Manchester M27
A modest interwar building in traditional style.
Pendlebury is situated to the north of Swinton, both now part of Salford, with which it now merges. The place expanded greatly in response to industrialisation and coal mining in the nineteenth century. The area was parochially part of Swinton (qv) until 1923. The foundation stone of a new church was laid by Mgr O’ Kelly on 5 September 1925 and the building was opened by the Bishop on 17 January 1926. The identity of the architect has not been established, but similarity in design and date to the first church of St Luke at nearby Irlams o’ th’ Height (qv), suggests H. Greenhalgh of Bolton. Local tradition has it that there was a house on the site which was demolished, and the bricks reused to build the church. The sanctuary was reordered, probably in the late twentieth century, the date of the present furnishings. It is probable that the Sacred Heart chapel at the west end originated as a baptistery, altered after the font was moved into the body of the church.
All orientations given are liturgical. The church is of red brick and broadly Gothic style with a symmetrical west front of brick with a boarded apex. Arched entrances with stone dressings flank a tripartite window, the central light with elementary tracery. Beneath it is the foundation stone with an inscription. The north entrance is approached by a ramp, the south by stone steps. The sides are of stock brick and have plain brick buttresses with broad arched windows between them. These windows have replacement glazing and hardwood glazing bars. There is a covered link to the presbytery on the northeast side. The interior is well lit with a west gallery. There is a screen across the west end, with a central Sacred Heart chapel and lobbies to each of the doors. The sanctuary is fitted with simple modern furnishings, with an inscription over the arch. The rear wall has two paintings flanking a crucifix with the words Ecce Agnus Dei (Behold the Lamb of God) painted over it.
Architect: H. Greenhalgh (unconfirmed)
Original Date: 1926
Conservation Area: No
Listed Grade: Not Listed