Queensway, Penwortham, Preston PR1
A good design of the late 1950s, stylistically of its time and liturgically conventional.
The first church was built in 1933. It was replaced by the present church in 1959, built from designs by the Preston architects, Cassidy & Ashton Partnership. The job architect was Gerald Cassidy, a member of the congregation (Cassidy and Ashton dedicated a Paschal candle stand, a mobile font and two ciborium bowls in his memory).
A parish meeting room was added in 2003.
The church is built of red brick with a copper roof and a concrete frame. Sawtooth roof giving triangular clerestory lighting, low attached confessionals etc. of darker brick, canopy along the front supported by slender metal piers. The west front is gabled with side slit windows and a recessed central window with vertical glazing bars. Detached brick tower with a tall slender copper spirelet. The interior is dominated by the concrete frame with integral exposed concrete ceiling ribs. Boarded ceiling, rendered walls. Low aisles and ancillary accommodation. Large sculpted figures against the east wall, forward altar, bench seating.
Entry amended by AHP 11.01.2021
Architect: Cassidy & Ashton Partnership
Original Date: 1959
Conservation Area: No
Listed Grade: Not Listed