The Presbytery, Angel Street, Petworth, West Sussex GU28 0BG
Simon Burchell, CC BY-SA 3.0 , via Wikimedia Commons
Charlesdrakew, Public domain, via Wikimedia Commons - Cropped
A good example of a church by F. A. Walters, built to a generous budget.
The church was paid for by Charles Willcock Dawes, who was anxious that no expense should be spared in its building. His tomb is between the Lady Chapel and the sanctuary. The cost was £15,000. Dawes also paid for the presbytery. The church has carved altars. Reredos, screens and other fittings designed by Walters. The stained glass is mostly by Lavers & Westlake. Brass by John Hardman & Co in memory of Rev Thomas Lalor who died in 1901.
Church. Built in 1896. Architect F A Walters. C14 Gothic. Stone. Slate roof.Gabled porch at west end of south front. Projecting aisle of one storey to east.Then gabled south transept with octagonal turret and tower with thin spire. Apsidal east end.
Presbytery: Contemporary with the Church. 1896. Architect F A Walters. Tudor style. Two storeys. Two windows. Stone rubble. Slate roof. Three light bay of two storeys with gable over. Gabled porch to west of this. Narrow sash windows.
Architect: F. A. Walters
Original Date: 1896
Conservation Area: Yes
Listed Grade: Not Listed