Building » Pilling – St William of York

Pilling – St William of York

Garstang Road, Pilling, Preston PR3 6AL

A late nineteenth century red brick church by Sinnott & Powell, well grouped with adjoining contemporary presbytery and with a richly furnished interior.

Built in 1890-1, Architects Sinnott & Powell of Liverpool, builders J. & T. Yearsley of St Helen’s. The attached presbytery and school to the east were built at the same time. The sanctuary was reordered in 1976.


The familiar small-church type popularised by the Pugins and Hansoms: towerless, west front gathered up to a bellcote at the apex, internally a single volume. Trefoil-headed lancet windows under hoodmoulds. The church and the attached presbytery are built of a harsh red brick from Ruabon, Wales, with local stone for the dressings. The entrance is via a lean-to porch at the liturgical northwest corner.

The paired lancet windows in the canted apse have stained glass figures of St William of York, Edward the Confessor, the Sacred Heart of Jesus, the Immaculate Heart of Mary, St Thomas Becket and St Winefride, virgin and martyr. Stone high altar. Oak pulpit and communion rails from 1930s. Forward altar in similar materials and stencil decoration in sanctuary belongs to reordering by Simon Gillespie, architect of Preston, in 1976. Canted roof and plain pitch pine pews in nave.

Entry amended by AHP 20.12.2020

Heritage Details

Architect: Sinnott & Powell

Original Date: 1891

Conservation Area: No

Listed Grade: Not Listed