Stott Close, Pike Road, Efford, Plymouth, Devon
The church has few architectural pretensions. It was built with two naves, one for the laity and one for a community of Carmelite nuns.
The Carmelite nuns of Notting Hill, London established a convent at Efford Manor in 1919 (The Tablet, 19 April 1919) and a church and convent buildings followed. When the sisters left, the bishop invited the Redemptorists to take over the parish in 1964. The congregation is now served from Christ the King,Plymouth. The former convent buildings house the Jeremiah centre, which organises conferences and retreats.
As at Sclerder, there are two naves at right angles to one another, one for the laity and one (originally) for the sisters. It is the nave for the laity that one sees on the approach to the church. This is of painted pebbledash construction over masonry or blockwork, with a slate roof. There is a lean-to porch at the west end and a projecting Lady chapel with a circular window on the south side. Against this is a modern flat-roofed building connecting the church with the buildings of the Jeremiah centre. The former nuns’ nave is orientated north-south, and there is an external glazed covered way/cloister and garden alongside its western flank.
The interior of each nave consists of a single space under king-post roofs. There is modern painted glass in the east and west windows of the main nave, and a Lady Chapel gives off the south side. A folding partition separates the former nuns’ nave from the sanctuary, which can be opened up when this area is required for overspill seating. There are no furnishings of particular note.
Amended by AHP 23.01.2021
Architect: Not established
Original Date: 1920
Conservation Area: No
Listed Grade: Not Listed