Eastbourne Road, Polegate, East Sussex (served from Hailsham)
A simple and unexceptional building, though in the local context it is of some merit, being constructed of local flint and standing on an eminence above the road.
The church was built in 1938 from designs by James O’Hanlon Hughes (Buildings of England), with Geoffrey Webb acting as ‘technical adviser’ (possibly meaning liturgical adviser; the two had previously collaborated at St Thomas More, Seaford, qv); the builder was W. Llewellyn & Sons. It is a simple gabled building of 1938, in flint with stone dressings. Nave and sanctuary under a single roof and rectangular plan. Gabled south porch oddly projecting westward beyond the nave. Regular flat-arched windows of four four-centred-arched lights except the east and west windows which have more elaborate Gothic tracery, though still simple and stylised. The interior has a canted ceiling over the single space.
Amended by AHP 15.02.2021
Architect: J. O'Hanlon Hughes
Original Date: 1938
Conservation Area: Yes
Listed Grade: Not Listed