West Road, Ponteland, Newcastle upon Tyne NE20
An architecturally modest building put up shortly after World War II, greatly altered and extended in 1978. The raised tower feature and curved brick walls make the building something of a landmark in the immediate vicinity.
The church has its origins in the Ponteland Mission of 1894. Around 1902 a wooden church, with a corrugated iron roof, was built on the site of a former orchard. The first phase of the present church was completed in 1950. It was extended in 1978.
The first stage of the church was a small building. The extension was added to its south and the actual south became ritual east, the orientation used in this description. The walls are of brick, the curved glass former entrance porch to West Road framed by a curved wall of header-courses; roofs are tiled. Above the sanctuary, upswept walls meet a narrow brick tower with a large recessed metal cross. To the north of this are four tall windows in a straight wall. Inside, pale buff header course bricks line the sanctuary. The marble altar and ambo are raised on two steps; the font is behind them. The pews are simple, with open backs. The Stations of the Cross were bought in 1955, from an Oberammergau firm called Erben.
Architect: Not established; 1978 work by Ronald Chipchase
Original Date: 1950
Conservation Area: No
Listed Grade: Not Listed