Brixey Road, Upper Parkstone, Poole, Dorset
An unexceptional post-war brick-built church-hall, with a pleasant interior.
An offshoot of St Joseph’s, Poole, Our Lady’s was originally built as a dual-purpose church and hall to serve the Catholics of Upper Parkstone. It was initially served from St Joseph’s but became an independent parish in 1956. The sanctuary was closed off with rollers shutters when secular events were taking place.
Brick with a concrete tile roof. Nave and sanctuary in one with various attachments under catslide roofs. Those at the west end result in a very broad and ill-proportioned front. Round-arched windows, mostly in pairs and with uPVC replacement frames. The west front has some architectural pretension with a centre gable with a blind round arch over the entrance and an arrangement of a circular window flanked by arched windows. Paired arched windows to either side, thin pilaster buttresses and circular windows beyond, an odd composition.
Inside, the church is divided in two by a timber and glazed screen separating the worship area from the hall. This work was done circa 2000. Shallow segmental-arched barrel vaulted ceiling throughout. The nave is separated from the sanctuary by an arcade of round arches, broader and taller in the centre. This is where there were originally roller shutters to close off the sanctuary. Two-bay arcade of plain plastered round arches to the southeast Lady Chapel. Statue of Our Lady in a shouldered arched niche. The former west gallery has been divided off to provide meeting rooms etc. None of the fittings or furnishings is of special note.
Architect: Not established
Original Date: 1950
Conservation Area: No
Listed Grade: Not Listed