The Rectory, Farringdon Lane, Ribbleton, Preston PR2 6LX.
An interesting modern Romanesque design by Reynolds & Scott, the interior perhaps impressing more than the exterior.
The church was built in 1955, serving new housing expansion. Opened 1956, architects Reynolds & Scott of Manchester, builders Hardmans of Kirkham. It replaced a smaller church of 1928, which survives as the school hall.
Built in brick in a moderne style with Romanesque touches. Externally, the nave is covered by a prominent gambrel roof, punctuated by three large gabled ‘dormers’ with arched windows. There is a lower and short sanctuary to the east with three-sided apse, and flat-roofed ancillary spaces attached to the north side of the church.
Internally, the Romanesque character is more pronounced. Internal dimensions: 135 ft long, 46 ft wide, 50 ft high. Full-width narthex at west end. Walls faced with bare exposed brick. Interesting interplay of volumes, as the side aisles alternate between enclosed arcades and opening into the main space. Stone columns with cushion capitals and round arches to arcades in nave and sanctuary. The ceiling is flat, plastered with simple modulation around the perimeter. Some of the interior furnishings (e.g. the pulpit and the Stations of the Cross) were brought from the old church, including a Stuflesser crucifix on the east wall. Stained glass window of Christ the King behind choir.
The presbytery predates the church and is not of special interest.
Architect: Reynolds & Scott
Original Date: 1955
Conservation Area: No
Listed Grade: Not Listed