Marlborough Drive, Fulwood, Preston PR2 9UE.
A substantial post-war modern Romanesque design by Sandy & Norris, with a powerful west tower and interior of impressive volume.
Fulwood grew rapidly as a northern suburb of Preston in the interwar years. The parish was erected in 1943, but the church did not follow until 1952-4. It was built from designs by E. Bower Norris of Bower & Norris, Stafford. The church was consecrated in 1987.
Large brick built church in modern Romanesque style. The parish priest had seen and admired another Norris church, St Edward at Kettering (Northamptonshire), hence this commission. Norris had been in partnership with F. M. Reynolds, and the church has much in common with Blessed Sacrament, Preston of the same date.
Large central tower at west end; round arched entrance flanked by statues of Our Lady and St Edward, 1979 by Ray Schofield of Overton, near Morecambe. Nave, aisles and a short chancel with long narrow round windows (cf Preston, Blessed Sacrament).
The church is entered through a western narthex, above this at the west end of the nave is a large tower arch, with choir gallery above. Unlike Blessed Sacrament, Preston the interior is light and airy, with white painted plaster walls, flat ceiling with panels. Arched openings give onto aisles, which are divided into bays by similar transverse arches. Clerestory of triple Romanesque arched openings.
Stone altar with paired attached Romanesque columns at either end, moved forward in 1967, similar gradine and tabernacle on east wall, with crucifix set within round-arched frame. High quality pews with decorative openwork pattern in their backs.
Entry amended by AHP 20.12.2020
Architect: Sandy & Norris
Original Date: 1952
Conservation Area: No
Listed Grade: Not Listed