Blackpool Road, Preston PR1 6HQ
A powerful brick design by W. C. Mangan church, unusually (for him) Gothic, with a bold octagonal west tower.
The parish was erected in 1924 and the present church built (and consecrated) in 1936.
Built from designs by the Preston architect W. C. Mangan, who usually favoured Romanesque or early Christian styles, but this church is massively brick-built in a free late Gothic style, with reminiscences of Albi Cathedral. There is a bold, tapering tower at the west end and a windowless semi-circular apse at the east end. The interior is a single aisleless space with concrete arches dividing the bays, painted plaster wall finishes. There is a large tower arch containing an organ/choir loft at the west end. The original high altar is enclosed by a massive stone Gothic aedicule. Later forward altar.
There are single-storey flat-roofed structures at the east end providing ancillary spaces.
Entry amended by AHP 20.12.2020
Architect: W.C. Mangan
Original Date: 1936
Conservation Area: No
Listed Grade: Not Listed