Pisgah Street, Pyle, CF33 6DA
A modest, well-detailed brick church in late Arts and Crafts style by F. R. Bates of Newport, retaining some original features including the altar and canopy.
The church of St Joseph of Arimathea was formed from the parish of Our Lady and St Patrick, Maesteg and was formally opened by Archbishop Francis Mostyn on 14 September 1930. The architect was F. R. Bates of Newport, the contractors Messrs S. T. Rees & Co. of Aberavon. The oak altar and canopy were created by T. Hanley of Ynyshir, the brass tabernacle was presented by Lady McCann of Dublin, and the sanctuary lamp given by Lady Jones of Porthcawl. The presbytery appears to date from the 1970s. Today the church is served from Bridgend.
St Joseph’s is in a simple Arts and Crafts style, constructed of buff brick with corbelled kneelers under tiled roofs. It has a projecting gabled porch, a nave of five bays with paired round-headed lancets and buttress bay divisions, a north transept and a sanctuary with lower ridge. The arched entrance is of three orders, with recessed herringbone tympanum. There is a cross on the gable end.
The interior is a single aisleless space, under a scissor-braced roof rising from painted stone corbels. The roof is supplemented with steel ties. The sanctuary is up one step with the altar up a further four steps set under a rounded arch. The altar is of panelled oak with carved fillets and beading. Above is a painted timber canopy with a carved papal tiara and crossed keys detail and scrolls, the underside has a painted PX and Α and Ω. There is a piscina in the south wall of the sanctuary. The font is a modern hexagonal oak portable type, located at the east end. The sacristy is through the north wall, inside is a high-backed carved oak celebrant’s chair.
Architect: F. R. Bates
Original Date: 1930
Conservation Area: No
Listed Grade: Not Listed