Kingsbury Road, Pype Hayes, Birmingham B24
A large functional church and presbytery of the early 1970s. The church was designed as a flexible worship space to reflect the new liturgy.
The mission was established in 1929, and a small brick hall/chapel built in 1930 to serve the steadily expanding suburb. Discussions about a new and larger church to seat at least 450 began in 1965. The present building was completed in 1971, and was designed by Radford Harper & Associates of Edgbaston.
The church was designed as a modern ‘worship room’, essentially rectangular on plan with a slightly canted east wall and with side chapels and other rooms along the south and west sides. The external walls are of red brick. The roof coverings are metal. The ancillary spaces along the south and west sides are single-storeyed, flat-roofed and top-lit. Behind them rises the main body of the church, which has a slightly pitched roof sloping from west to east, with wedge-shaped clerestories on the north and south sides. Above the sanctuary is a small copper fleche. The interior of the church is a single large undivided space, with rough plastered walls and a timbered ceiling. Against the east wall is a sanctuary dais. The fittings are simple. The bench seating is presumably original.
Architect: Radford Harper Associates
Original Date: 1971
Conservation Area: No
Listed Grade: Not Listed