Chapel Street, Rainford, St Helens WA11
A small brick church of 1980, rectangular on plan and top-lit, replacing a church of 1875.
A site of over seven acres was acquired at auction in 1873, and a school built in 1874, followed by a church in 1875. That building was replaced by the present church, built on the other side of the road and opened by Archbishop Derek Worlock on 27 July 1980. A new presbytery was built at the same time.
The body of the church is rectangular, the exterior walls faced with buff brick and windowless, except on the side facing the presbytery garden where there is continuous glazing. The shallow pyramidal roof is covered with concrete tiles and has a central upstand with a clerestorey window and monopitch roof. The interior is plain in character, its walls faced with white brick. The steel beams supporting the roof are exposed and the ceiling is boarded. The sanctuary is ranged against the east wall, which has a central stepped recess in the brickwork. The floor is carpeted. The fittings appear to be contemporary with the building.
Entry amended by AHP 11.01.2021
Architect: R. O’Mahony & Partners
Original Date: 1980
Conservation Area: No
Listed Grade: Not Listed