Building » Rainworth – St George (chapel-of-ease)

Rainworth – St George (chapel-of-ease)

Warsop Lane, Rainworth, Nottinghamshire NG21

A portal framed structure of 1960, not of special architectural or historic importance.

A Mass centre was established in Blidworth in 1942, served from Mansfield. In 1958, the villages of Blidworth and Rainworth were assigned to the new parish of St Patrick, Forest Town and the present site was acquired for a chapel-of-ease conveniently located for both villages. The church opened in July 1960 and cost some £8,000. The architect has not been established, but similarities with St Pius X, Narborough (portal frame, asymmetrical main entrance) suggest Thomas E. Wilson.

The church is a prefabricated structure with a laminated timber portal frame, externally clad in brick and vertical weatherboarding (entrance front). The shallow pitched roof is covered in felt. There is a later, asymmetrically-place brick entrance porch. The interior is a single volume, the bay divisions marked by the laminated timber frame. The walls are plastered apart from the east wall of the sanctuary, which is bare brick. Furnishings include a Gothic marble font of nineteenth century character, brought here from elsewhere.

Heritage Details

Architect: Thomas E. Wilson (unconfirmed)

Original Date: 1960

Conservation Area: No

Listed Grade: Not Listed