Carrington Lane, Ashton-on-Mersey, Cheshire M33 5WL
A traditional design of the 1960s by the local Catholic architect Arthur Farebrother, in a pared-down style, mixing basilican, Byzantine and Gothic elements. The church retains much of the original furnishing and character, and is a local landmark.
A church hall used for worship opened in 1959, and the parish was formed in 1965. The church cost £67,000 and was opened in 1966.
The church is of pale brown brick with a tile roof. On plan it consists of an aisleless nave with transepts and a detached southwest campanile of distinctive stripped Byzantine style with a pyramidal copper roof. The windows are generally lancets, with large stylised rose windows to the west and transept ends.
Inside, the vaulted roof rises from stylised early Gothic pilasters. There is a semicircular apse with a forward altar on a circular stepped platform with green Connemara marble risers. Original furnishings include the altar, altar rails and ambo, all of Connemara marble. The reredos is of textured gold-coloured plaster, and has an attached Crucifixus. The simple bench seating is probably original, of West African mahogany. At the west end is a plain gallery. As a whole the church has dignity and character.
Architect: Arthur Farebrother & Partners
Original Date: 1966
Conservation Area: No
Listed Grade: Not Listed