A modest post-war building in an attractive setting, which serves as a parish hall as well as a church. The intended permanent church has never been built.
This part of Pendleton is close to the border of Eccles. It is a residential area of leafy character which grew during the later nineteenth and early twentieth century. The site for the present church was acquired in 1951, and a presbytery built in 1953 from designs by Geoffrey Williams of Greenhalgh & Williams. The same architects designed the church, which was built in 1956 as a combined church and parish hall. The intended permanent church has never been built. A lower annexe at the front of the building seems to be a later addition, possibly of late twentieth century date. A reordering has taken place, again probably in the late twentieth century, the probable date of the sanctuary furnishings and forward altar. A former baptistery was converted to form a side chapel probably at the same time. Ramps with railings have been added to the main entrance and to the chapel in the late twentieth or early twenty-first century.
All orientations given are liturgical. The building is constructed of brown brick and slate hanging with a tile roof. There is a flat-roofed stone-clad extension at the west end which incorporates the main entrance. A crucifix and statues of St Peter and St Paul are affixed in the gable end of the church. Inside, the annexe acts as a narthex and contains WCs. Towards the east end of the main space there is a folding partition which allows the sanctuary to be divided from the nave, creating a social space in the latter. A former baptistery with bright figurative glass to the south of the sanctuary now acts as a chapel.
Architect: Greenhalgh & Williams
Original Date: 1956
Conservation Area: No
Listed Grade: Not Listed