Middlewich Road, Sandbach, Cheshire CW11
A small but characterful building by a local architect, with some good detailing.The building is primarily of townscape interest; the interior is plain and contains no furnishings of particular note.
Sandbach was served from Middlewich or Congleton and during the nineteenth century Mass was mainly held in private houses and later in a former Methodist chapel. The church was built just before the First World War, from designs by the local architect Joseph Stringer. After the church was built there was a long delay before a resident priest was established, for whom a presbytery was added in 1934 from designs by Edmund Kirby & Sons.
The church is without tower or aisles. It is built of red brick with stone dressings and some raised diaperwork patterning. The windows are of broadly Perpendicular inspiration and there is a porch with timber-framed gable and carved inscription. There is a cupola and weathervane. A foundation stone with the names of the architect, builder and bishop is located at the east end. The interior has a tall chancel arch with stone dressings and an arch-braced timber roof. Original furnishings were replaced during a reordering in the 1980s.
Architect: Joseph Stringer
Original Date: 1914
Conservation Area: No
Listed Grade: Not Listed