St George’s Road, Sandwich, Kent
A pre-fabricated building, bought off-the-peg in 1960 to replace an earlier (1929) timber church.
There was no Catholic church in Sandwich before the First World War but during the war a large army camp was established nearby and a chapel built within the camp. After the war the both camp and chapel were closed. The plot on which the chapel now stands was given by a Mr Wingham in the late 1920s and a temporary timber church erected in 1929. It survived until 1960, when it was replaced by the present building, which is virtually identical to the church of St Finbarr at Aylesham (qv) and was presumably obtained from the same firm, Reena Construction Ltd of Salisbury.
The church has a rectangular plan. The exterior is single storey, with a curved overall roof. The walls are faced with pre-cast pebbledash panels and the roof is covered in felt. The principal entrance is at the west end where the central doorway has a cantilevered concrete canopy and has a large window above under the arched end of the roof. The side walls have widely spaced curving buttresses and between them are pairs of strip windows, now with plastic window surrounds. Interior not inspected.
Architect: Probably supplied by Reena Construction Ltd of Salisbury
Original Date: 1960
Conservation Area: No
Listed Grade: Not Listed