Armadale Drive, Nether Hall, Scraptoft, Leicester LE5
A building of modest architectural interest erected in the 1950s to serve the needs of the new Nether Hall housing estate on the northeast outskirts of Leicester.
The chapel was built in 1958 to serve the population of the post-war Nether Hall estate. The same combination of architect and builder (T.E. Wilson and Bray & Oswin of Oadby) was employed as at St Pius X Narborough (qv). The church was designed to seat 250, and cost £6000. It was designed to double up as a church hall, pending the construction of a larger church, never built. The church is served from St Joseph’s Uppingham Road.
The church of the Rosary is a functional portal framed building set on a concrete plinth and consisting of a single rectangular block with a shallow-pitched roof. The walls are faced in pink brick, the roof is covered in concrete tiles. The main entrance is in the centre of the gabled west front and is flanked by two long slit windows. The side walls are divided into five bays by brick piers; the nave bays on each side have pairs of slit windows, the eastern bay is the sanctuary and sacristy with a side entry and different fenestration.
The internal bays are marked by laminated timber trusses with plastered side walls and a boarded and painted ceiling. The shallow sanctuary has an east wall of bare brick with side windows. The west end has a modern draught lobby with catering facilities alongside. The furnishings, including the timber benches and wooden altar, are simple and probably original.
Architect: Thomas E. Wilson
Original Date: 1958
Conservation Area: Yes
Listed Grade: Not Listed